Wednesday, March 2, 2016

29 February 2016 - Why does everyone here have a dog?

Friends:

I have learned many things on my mission, even though I've only been out for about a month and a half.  Let me share some of them with you.

**Idahoans love starches.  Every meal usually has 3 or more. 
**Starting your day with a grapefruit makes in exponentially better.
**The word "finagle" - I'd never heard or used it before
**The average weight gain for sisters in this mission is 40 lbs.  
**I am now a pro at driving in ice/snow.
**I am incredibly good at appearing as though I love everyone's dogs
**A common meal in Idaho: thick chicken noodle soup over mashed potatoes with rolls
**A lot of older people say "I'll give ya a jingle" instead of "I'll call you."  Never heard this before.  It amuses me greatly.
**People are very eager and willing to go into graphic and unnecessary detail about their health problems.  Or their neighbor's health problems.  Or their dog's/cow's/goat's health problems.
**People like to greet missionaries by saying "I'm already Mormon".
**It's very surprising for people to hear "yes/no ma'am" and "yes/no sir" 
**Snow in late February can get really ugly and dirty
**Tender mercies happen all the time. 
**Tender mercies appear in the form of free homemade salsa sometimes
**God rewards and recognizes bravery
**Things almost never go as terribly as you imagine they will

Other matters of interest:

On tuesday, we had exchanges.  This means that the four companionships of sisters in my zone all sort of switched around for a day.  I spent that day ON CAMPUS IN REXBURG with Sister Kolo, a sweet Tongan sister who's been on her mission for a little over a year.  It was so much fun.  On tuesday, we didn't really go on campus much, but spent a lot of time visiting people in the surrounding areas.  Met a lot of really neat people, and I learned SO MUCH from sister Kolo.  She told me that I need to stop knocking on doors "like a policewoman".  Oops. 

The next day on wednesday, I switched with a companionship again and was on campus in the MC working a booth where students can come and give us referrals for people to teach.  It was fun, but weird.  A kind guy bought us pizza.  I saw many people that I knew.  Many kinds of people that I knew.  It was emotionally draining in  good and bad ways, and almost caused an identity crisis.  I'm kind of kidding.  It was a good thing, but I was glad when it was time to switch back and I got to be in the very un-distracting Sugar City stake.

My companion, Sister Stein, was sick this week.  Pray for her to get better and pray that I'll not breath in her sick air germs or anything, please.

We have a few investigators!!  Emmett, Darlene, Aiden, and Brittany!! Brittany isn't actually in our area, but she told the Elders that she wanted to be taught by sisters... and we happily accepted.  They're all great.  Emmett and Aiden are both 10.  Emmett's mom wants him baptized.  Aiden's does not.  Darlene's husband is a member of the church, and she's taken some classes from BYUI about the Book of Mormon, but is still kind of hesitant.  All good people.  All fun to talk to and good to teach.

Some thoughts:

In the accounts of the creation of the earth in Moses it is said that the "Lord God created all things spiritually before they werenaturally upon the face of the earth."  
This makes me think of praying in the morning.  I didn't do much of that very much before I came on my mission, but I take it very seriously now, because praying in the morning is kind of our way of creating our day spiritually before it physically happens.  We pray about things we want to do, pray for people, pray for things we may want to learn, and ask God what HE would have us do, before the day really begins.  When I think about it that way, it's very easy for me to stay focused, right when I wake up, which hasn't always been the case.  God wants to help us have a day full of learning opportunities, missionary opportunities, and blessings!  Spiritually create your day with Him so that you are both on the same page, so that you are both on HIS page, I should say.

Sorry for the long email! I love you all!  I love hearing from you!

Faithfully,
Sister McIntosh

Me on exchanges with Sister Kolo, teaching some awesome kids while roasting marshmallows overlooking the rexburg "skyline" - so fun to be in a bigger city for a day!

 There was a yard with a bunch of cow legs lying around... So we took an aesthetic pic. (Heidi, this is instagram worthy, no?)  We COWnd't resist.

 My zone

Me and my fun tongan companion for the day, Sister Kolo.

 A yellow hummer, a horse, and me.  (someone should write a country song with that as a title.)

Me being on campus at BYUI!  it's Me, Sister Poulson, Sister Sondrup (One of my STLs) and my companion, Sister Stein


No comments:

Post a Comment